Monday, November 7, 2011

Doctor Visit

This morning, I will visit Dr Evandro to get the plug in my ear removed and my ear cleaned. He was not available on Friday when my implant was activated. He has been very attentive and cautious to preserve my hearing in my right ear.

I have Enlarged Vestibular Aqueduct Syndrome. This means that I am prone to sudden deafness, and it has happened a number of times in my life. One of the causes can be a change in pressure in the head. Since I had a few episodes of severe ear-ringing after the surgery, he prescribed Betaserc. This medicine is used here in Brazil and Europe, but is not FDA approved in the USA. Many use it to treat Meniere's Disease and as a long term treatment for tinnitus. It has also been reported to prevent hearing loss in certain cases. I’ve been on it for a couple of weeks, and it usually starts taking full effect after a month of use.

Several Youtube videos are up and my next post will be a link to those, along with a brief explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment